In the last ten years of writing this blog, I have met many people who have lamented that they wanted skills like mine. Or have acknowledged that they just did not have it in their DNA to be handy. As a result, I’ve spent a lot of time trying to convince people that they are good at it, but just don’t know it yet. Of course, growing up in a family of DIYers has helped me take the leap of faith from paying someone to fix, build, to building it for me to do it myself.
If you are still on the fence about taking on a DIY project, let me give you the top 10 reasons to do it yourself.
1. save money, save money, save money. (Do I need to emphasize this again? When you do something on your own, keep money in your pocket that you would have otherwise paid for. Why not create a jar and save yourself money by doing it yourself every time you save money by putting money in it, or buying someone else or paying someone else to do it? Did you know that taking on your own room remodeling can save you as much as 50% of the cost of hiring?
2. try it. If you fail, watch and learn. You see the sink faucet is leaking or your toilet is running. You get ready to pick up the phone to call the plumber, but then you remember the bill the last time he was in your house. If you are trying to fix something, you need to either fix the problem or call a repairman anyway. That being said, be aware of your limitations. (Don’t undertake complicated electrical work if you don’t know what the black, white, or green wires are! ). Go ahead and call that repairman, but watch how the repairs are done. Ask questions. Often you will find that you could do the repair yourself.
3. help is all around you. If you can read and follow the instructions, you have a 95% chance of success with your DIY project. There are so many resources out there to help you. Here are just a few.
– The instruction manual that comes with the fixture you are installing
– For online resources, Google “how-to” instructions for your project.
– Talk to professionals and home improvement clerks.
– Search for instructional videos on Youtube.com
– Check out DIY books at the library.
– Buy a DIY book from your local home improvement store.
– Ask your friends, family and neighbors about their skills.
4. the time is now. You can complete the project now instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you.
5. donate to charity. You can send your DIY projects away to charity. Here, you can make for charity and give, for example, handmade clothing to the homeless!
6. prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Learn something new. Studies show, that challenging your mind improves your brain function and prevents Alzheimer’s disease.
7. lose weight. you’ll probably sweat a little if you participate in a DIY project! You’ll be climbing, moving, and generally using You’ll be climbing, moving, and using your body a lot; participating in a DIY project will definitely get you away from the computer and keep you moving until the project is completed. Talk about completing your movement goals!
8. discover a new skill. How do you know you can’t tile, paint or build? You won’t know if you have a talent for DIY until you try it.
9. suitable for recycling. Most DIY books use what you already have in your home, which means you don’t have to spend a lot of money on the organizer you want to make. You can use what you already have, or better yet, you can recycle clothes and other items to make them look like new, or to give them a new look.
DIY encourages you to recycle and recycle and eventually you will come to appreciate the practical aspects of life. If you ask me, it’s definitely a win-win situation. The important thing now is to be practical, especially when the economy isn’t what it used to be. Sometimes saving extra money seems like a good idea.
10. a sense of accomplishment. Can you remember the last time you tackled something new or difficult? Didn’t you have a great sense of accomplishment going when you were successful?
Those are the top 10 reasons to do it yourself! Did I forget something? Did I forget something? If so, please leave me a comment below.